Tuesday 18 September 2012

The Face on the Milk Carton

We have all read tonnes of books about little girls getting kidnapped and so on, but the novel The Face on the Milk Carton is a great cliff hanger!!!

What would you do if you found out your parents kidnapped you when you were little? 

How do you think you would react?

In this novel, Janie Johnson finds a picture of a young girl on the front of a milk carton at school. This is how Americans identified missing people. But as she glanced at the 3-year-old girl, Janie recognized her face. Are Mr and Mrs Johnson really her parents? And if not, is Janie Johnson really Janie Johnson?

Janie Johnson is 15 years old and is in her last year of school. As soon as Janie asks her parents about when she was little they go very quiet and were not the welcoming parents she knew them as. Are they her real parents?

This book is set in Janies suburban Connecticut neighbourhood in America, around the time of her last year at school. 

The message I found was that things are not always as they seem.

The writing style Caroline Cooney used was very different and unique which added to the excellence of the mystery. 

The words flowed in such a way that they seemed to be bring the story to life, which made it so much easier to feel like you are amongst the characters, which is why I would recommend this book to everyone! I found that this book left you thinking, and is a really great read with a very good message behind it!

4 comments:

  1. WOW Claire, I loved this book, however, I could never have written a blog as well as you have done here. I love the first sentence where you said that there are ordinary books like this but 'Face on the Milk Carton' is a cliff hanger. Really well written. Great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful Book Blog Clare! Great Work!! I love the rhetorical questions at the beginning. It made me wan't to keep reading about 'the Face on the Milk Carton'!I think I will borrow this book from the library!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds really interesting Clare, it seems like it really catches you in. I will borrow this soon. Great Job Clare!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds like a really good book. I have never read it but you have inspired me to read it.

    ReplyDelete