Thursday 13 September 2012

Life on the refrigerater door - Alice Kuipers


Imagine only communicating through notes on the refrigerator door.
Imagine sending and receiving notes to and from your mother every day.
How would you feel if you hardly ever saw her? Then when something life-changing happens, you never get to see her again!

Life on the refrigerator door is an emotional story written in the form of notes sent to and from 15 year old Claire and her mother. When bad news arrives from the doctors, their life is thrown into absolute Chaos.

I felt sorry for Claire as she was desperately trying to juggle school, a boyfriend, her friends and trying to hold onto the sliver of a relationship she has with her full-time working mother. Arriving home to an empty house nearly every day with nothing but a note on the fridge door, Claires personality reflects what her life is like in some ways. She is a smart, vibrant girl who is struggling with her mothers absence from her teenage years.
The books message is to hold the ones you love close before you cant hold them at all.
I really enjoyed Life on the refrigerator door. It was a quick and easy book to read but hard to take the story in. The tragic ending tied the book off, leaving me feeling a bit down and shocked, but equally left me a bit more knowledgeable. The story told me that I need to value my family more as I dont know what will come in the future.


4 comments:

  1. Liz you did a good job of describing the main plot. The book seems really interesting and i now really want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have really described the message in the book. I love how you intrigued me at the start of the book blog by making the me imagine what a life would be like in the protagonists situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this book, it is amazing but so sad. You have described it really well. I'll read it again. Well Done Liz!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete